Most people are aware of the benefits of clean and pure drinking water. But did you know that soft water can provide your family with numerous advantages, too?
While the consumption of water is necessary for human life, we also use it every day for a variety of other reasons. Whether for bathing, cleaning, or leisure-time activities such as swimming, water is a staple that we all depend on and take for granted.
Most hard water contains calcium and magnesium. The hardness of your
water depends on the amount of these and other dissolved minerals.
Different items are available on the market that remove the calcium and
magnesium in the water by moving it through a filtering resin.
Advantages of Soft Water
1. Having soft water saves you money. When your water is soft, you use much less soap and fewer cleaning products. Your budget will automatically reflect the savings.
2. Your plumbing will last longer. Hard water can cause a build up of scale from mineral deposits. Over time, pipes can clog, water flow can diminish, and water pressure can be reduced. This doesn't happen with soft water. Soft water is low in mineral content and therefore doesn't leave deposits in the pipes.
3. Your hot water heater will last longer. Scale and lime build-up created by minerals will not take place if your water is soft. This adds life to your hot water heater. Also, if you don't have deposits in your hot water heater, it will cost approximately 20% less to heat the water that your family does use. At the end of a year, these savings can really add up.
4. Diminished razor burn: Soft water causes the razor to glide more easily across the face. This, in turn, causes your razor blades to last longer.
5. Most water-using appliances will last longer. Whether it's your coffee pot, your humidifier, or your hot tub, soft water inhibits a build-up of minerals and adds life to these products.
Why Soft Water is Beneficial to your Children
1. No more soap build-up on their skin. Skin stays softer and healthier when its natural oils are allowed to remain and aren't covered by a mineral build-up.
2. Less soap is needed to cleanse the skin. This is especially important with younger children. Their skin is usually more delicate and sensitive to the irritants that are found in many soaps and cleaning products. Remember, with soft water, a little soap or shampoo goes a very long way.
3. Hair is softer and easier to manage when there isn't a build-up of minerals coating it. This means it's easier to brush and de-tangle.
Additional Benefits of Soft Water
1. Probably the first thing you'll notice is that you have to purchase a lot less soap. Whether it's dish detergent, shampoo, or laundry soap, you'll use less of it. The reason is because soft water has greater washing power. You can use less and get superior results. Normally, you will find that you can use 1/2 to 2/3 less soap with the same or even better results.
2. Your clothes last longer and remain brighter longer if they are washed in soft water. The reason is that normal water leaves mineral particles in the weave of most fabrics. This causes them to look dull and dingy. Also, your washing machine will last longer, too, because it won't be subject to a build-up of minerals and deposits.
3. Rings and stains won't darken your bathroom fixtures.
4. Glasses and dishes won't streak.
5. Scrubbing floors and tile will be easier and faster because you won't have the film and soap scum that hard water creates.
6. Your skin is softer when you bathe with soft water. You will leave your bath or shower feeling refreshed with your skin feeling truly clean. Also, rough, dry skin will naturally diminish.
7. If you color your hair, it will keep its radiance longer if it is
washed in softened